OpenDocMan ™ – Open Source Document Management System
OpenDocMan is a free, web-based, open source document management system (DMS) written in PHP designed to comply with ISO 17025 and OIE standard for document management. It features web based access, fine grained control of access to files, and automated install and upgrades. Please have a look around and if you have any questions, contact us!
Open Source Document Management Software
No Changing of Business Rules Required
Unlike most DMS’s that require you to change your business rules in order to manage your documents, OpenDocMan allows you to integrate your current rules. Through supporting multiple file types, to departmental review, OpenDocMan lets you concentrate on the business at hand, document management. Free document management software is good to find.
We recommend Rackspace for your server hosting:
Easy To Use and Setup
Your users will appreciate the minimalist approach to the user interface. Your IT staff will enjoy the automated installation process.
Robust User Management
IT staff and managers can delegate document management duties to any number of staff members, through user and group permissions. Permissions can be set as restrictively or permissively as needed.
Document Management Software Basics
Document management software and document management in general is based around a concept of centralized document storage, limited access, and change tracking. These three DMS software fundamentals make up much of ISO 17025 in regards to document management systems.
Centralized Document Storage:
Any decent document management system ( DMS ), whether it is open source or commercial, will allow documents to be stored in some sort of centralized location. This makes finding documents in the DMS much easier, as there is only one place to look.
Having a centralized location to store files is not enough to call your product a document management system. A simple folder on your computer can allow files to be stored, but limiting access to specific individuals becomes more of a problem. A good DMS will allow fine-grained access to each and every file.
Limiting access to the DMS files is a good step in the right direction but does no good if the files can be changed, added, removed without tracking of those actions. A good document management software system will add on change tracking for the files so that changes can be noted, and reversed if need be.
OpenSource Document Management System
OpenDocMan is an open source document management system, also known as an open source DMS. Here are some of the key features of the document software:
Document Management Files
- Add any file type to the system
- Not FTP required. Upload directly from your browser.
- Meta data fields for each file
- Assign a department/category to each file
- Check-out feature to prevent over-writing of edits
- Revision history
- Documents are stored physically on the server
- File expiration
- Create custom document properties to match your companies needs
Document Management Workflow
- Automated document review process
- Automated file expiration process
- Reviewer can approve or reject a new document or a changed document
- E-mail notification options prior to and after a review
- Quick-browse search by author, department, or category
- Full search by meta-data, author, department, category, file name, comments,etc.
- No external indexing processes required
Document Management Server Requirements
- Very lightweight and easy to install
- PHP 5/MySQL 5
- Automatic installer and updater
Document Management Security
- Secure URL feature to obfuscate URL parameters
- Fine grained user access control for each file
- Departmental access control for each file
- Three user types: User, Admin, and Super-Admin
- Control the size limit of files independent of higher server limits
Multiple Language Support